This is the best price I’ve seen on this great airbrush!
Monthly Archives: November 2013
So today is my birthday AND my daughter’s birthday….which really means I’ll never have a birthday again! lol She was the best birthday present I could ever hope for though, so I don’t mind.
Back to the wolves!
The next step on the Fenrisian Wolf Packs was to prime them with my trusty Vallejo Surface Primer in grey.
Next I mixed VMA Mahogany with a RMS grey to make a purple-ish neutral color, and I sprayed that wherever their fur was going to be darker.
Then I sprayed straight VMA Mahogany over those areas, making sure to leave some of the purple showing. This step isn’t pictured, but these two steps together set up a multi-dimensional backdrop for their main fur color to keep things interesting.
They were then sprayed lightly with RMS Russet Brown, and then accented with a little light grey and a little yellowish brown.
More coming soon!
So the wolves were pinned and attached to their cork bases. For some reason the glue didn’t want to set up as quickly as usual, even though just one day ago I attached a miniature made of the same GW plastic to a cork base made from the same cork with the same glue and didn’t have that issue at all. So random…but it did eventually set up and cure.
The next step was to use Vallejo Red Oxide paste to cover up the plastic bumps the wolves have on their feet to blend it into the bases as well as to apply the paste to the larger areas of base that aren’t covered with cork.
The Skink unit is finished:
FOR SALE $65 plus shipping
Also, the final pictures of the Project Orange Crush Mitigator have been added to my Gallery page. Check it out here!
My next project is two sets of Fenrisian Wolf Packs. I’m not entirely sure yet what I will be doing with them, but at this point it doesn’t matter yet. I’ve cleaned and assembled them, as well as built cork bases for them.
Originally both packs were going to be painted the same for maximum efficiency. This is mostly an airbrush project, so painting two packs takes almost the same time as painting one pack. They still could be done the same, but I’m toying with the idea of doing one pack with brown fur and summer/autumn bases and the other pack with grey fur and winter bases. I’ll have to figure that out ASAP!
I finally got around to finishing the last, but probably most important, part of the Convergence of Cyriss Mitigator for Project Orange Crush: the orange glow!
I airbrushed the big glowy areas starting from a dark orange and working up to a fluorescent yellow (I had to brush by hand the tiny glowy bits also), then glazed it over with Model Air Fluo Red, which looks pretty orange to me. Project Orange Crush has asked that the models not be based so that Privateer Press can do it for consistency in the armies, so at this point the model is done:
So I got a lot more work done on the Skinks. I really like how their colors are coming together.
I drybrushed the base with RMS Terran Khaki. Then I gradually highlighted their frills with a mix of red and light yellow paint and then fluorescent yellow as well. I also put some of this paint on the feathers a couple of the Skinks have. I also highlighted the scales, and then base-coated all the metals and shields with RMS Blackened Brown. Next, I drybrushed the metals with Vallejo Model Color Brass, and drybrushed the shields with gradually increasing Terran Khaki mixed with Blackened Brown. The shields were then washed with Carroburg Crimson.
I decided I wanted the Skinks to be more than just basic blue, so I sprayed RMS Clear Purple on the back half of each skink. Then I sprayed RMS Surf Aqua on the front half mostly from above to highlight and tint the model. I also turned the PSI way down on the airbrush and put unthinned RMS Surf Aqua in so it wasn’t able to atomize properly. Then I sprayed the back half of each Skink so they had spots on the purple areas. This was mostly experimental…I’d never done that before, but I think it accomplished what I was after. If there is a better way, please, someone let me know!