Category Archives: Competition Models

WIP Reaper Pearl the Mermaid

This is a really fun sculpt, and I think I will probably paint it again in the future. Here are some quick WIP shots. I still have no idea what colors to make the base. I am going for a limited color palette, and working within that is actually pretty difficult when I typically rely on color variation as a method of creating contrast and interest within a mini.

WIP Reaper Pearl the Mermaid 2-27-15a WIP Reaper Pearl the Mermaid 2-27-15b WIP Reaper Pearl the Mermaid 2-27-15c WIP Reaper Pearl the Mermaid 2-27-15d

Advertisements

WIP Kingdom Death Pinup Survivor Aya

Not too long ago I posted about receiving my Pinups of Death box from Kingdom Death. Well, I finally got around to messing with a model from that set. I decided Pinup Survivor Aya would be the first one. Here she is still on sprue:

new on sprue

Obviously, she has a lot of pieces. When I saw how many there were, and that all but 3 were required, I thought it was going to be a fiddly nightmare to assemble her, probably because of my experiences with another manufacturer of “high quality” plastic miniatures (*cough* GW *cough*). As the model is absolutely beautiful, however, I was willing to just deal with it.

I started out dry fitting pieces over and over before applying glue, expecting pieces to be slightly off and have to finagle them into place, but boy was I wrong! Assembling this model was a joy. Kingdom Death truly made a high quality miniature. All the joins were in discrete places, or they were covered up by other pieces later in the assembly. There was a great deal of planning that went into the creation of this miniature. The *only* piece I had any trouble with was the lantern, and that was mostly because the surfaces to be joined are super tiny. I even had no problem attaching her weapon which has a hand cut off at the wrist at one end and just fingers at the other end, with both ends attaching to arms that were not cast as part of the body, so they could potentially have been assembled at barely the wrong angle so nothing would fit together after. The arms fit snugly into exactly the correct position.

In the end, there is just one small gap I will fill, and that is under a breast on a strap. Nothing else is visible!

And the mould lines…well there really weren’t any – just one small one on each leg. Here she is assembled:

assembled 1 assembled 2 assembled 3

 

I can’t wait to start painting this model!