Category Archives: Dungeons & Dragons
I’ve painted so many of this model now! I do love it though. It’s a great sculpt. I do have one complaint, however – every one of them has had a somewhat messed up mouth with some really rough metal on the side of her chin. It really bothers me when a mini’s face is messed up. The face is the most important part! It’s mostly fixable, but I find it makes painting her mouth particularly complicated.
Here she is finished! This was a really fun model, and I have several color scheme ideas for painting her again.
Here’s another WIP shot of that awesome sorceress model. I am still working on the NMM…it appears to have more contrast under my bright work lights than it actually has, apparently.
I’ve been asked a few times how I do orbs like these, so here is my process on this model:
1. base coat of VMC Prussian Blue,
2. Glaze thinned VMC Deep Sky Blue from middle to bottom of orb, not worrying overly much about the transition,
3. Glaze much thinner VMC Prussian Blue over the transition towards the top of the orb to smooth the blend,
4. Add a pinch of VMC Ivory and VMC Fluo Green to the thinned VMC Deep Sky Blue and thin further,
5. Glaze Fluo green mixture into the brightest part of the orb,
6. Glaze with super thin VMA Imperial Blue (more of a deep purple) into the very top of the orb,
7. Fix any transitions with VMC Prussian Blue or VMC Deep Sky Blue glazes,
8. Coat with Liquitex Gloss Varnish,
9. Hold under light at the proper angle to visualize glints, paint them on with VMC Ivory,
10. Re-coat with Liquitex Gloss Varnish
With all of the blending, make sure the brush is always moving towards the place you want the most pigment to be deposited.
Here are some quick WIP shots of a current commission of a Female Undead Hunter from Dark Sword Miniatures. This mini is really beautiful, and the details are so tiny…also, the face is extremely well done. I was really impressed with the face, in fact. In the end, I will probably end up spending half the time I do on other manufacturers’ faces on this one because the details are so crisp and well defined. I plan to paint a lot more Dark Sword minis!
I actually painted this mini about 2 months ago, but never got around to posting her pictures until now!
This model was an experiment in new things to me – sparkly cloth, sheer cloth, making butterflies, magic effects, painting crystal. I’m considering changing the colors of the butterflies to pink and yellow. I made them blue because I wanted them to be part of the magic dress transformation. The sheer cloth was simpler than I imagined, but I’m sure there are much more challenging situations for it. I also really enjoyed painting all those dots…even though there are a million of them…and they made my hand cramp from holding the brush funny…