Category Archives: Warhammer 40K

WIP Ultraforge Vrock

This model is still WIP, although it’s coming along! I sculpted the additional rocks on the base with milliput, as putting him on a 50mm playable base left little room for anything else. Painting the feathers took hours! At this point I’ve already spent as many hours on this model as I planned to in total, and I still have a few more to go!

Ultraforge Vrock WIP MGM Painting 3-10-15 front  Ultraforge Vrock WIP MGM Painting 3-10-15 backUltraforge Vrock WIP MGM Painting 3-10-15 side

Advertisements

WIP Ultraforge Vrock

Here’s some progress on the huge Vrock model. The turquose in his mouth isn’t staying…it was a quick experiment while I was already airbrushing.

Ultraforge Vrock WIP MGM Painting 3-6-15a Ultraforge Vrock WIP MGM Painting 3-6-15b

Post-Brawler Bash

I had a SUPER busy weekend at Brawler Bash VII. I met a ton of super-nice people, and hopefully I will get the opportunity to do some projects for some of them. Also, I can’t wait to see what projects the recipients of the $50 gift certifcates want me to do for them.

In the coming weeks I will be posting about a Lizardmen project including two skink characters and some skirmishing movement trays. I’m also going to finish an Empire mounted BSB I’ve been working on. After that, I’m switching over to some 40K for a while starting with some Dark Angels! Hopefully I will also be able to squeeze in a few Reaper Bones models along the way.

More Kickstarters!

HiTech Miniatures makes great Warhammer 40K alternate models, and now they’re doing a Kickstarter! You can check it out at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/729371086/mission-katharsis-miniatures-tactical-board-game

Dust Studio has an alternate WWII game with loads of cool minis, and it appears that the Kickstarter is very popular. Check it out at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/duststudio/dust-operation-babylon

Minx Studio has an interesting Kickstarter that just launched about 2 hours ago and is already half-way to being funded. They have a video from James Wappel as a stretch goal about his shaded basecoat technique. I WISH they had some of his basing videos for stretch goals as he’s absolutely a master of great gaming bases. You can check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantasyminiatures/rpg-fantasy-miniatures-by-minx-studio

WIP: Dark Angels Company Masters cont.

Just a quick update. I got a chance to do some work on the Company Masters today, and here is their stopping point. I plan to finish them tomorrow.

13

Looking at the minis it wasn’t clear to me before, but seeing them now in pictures it’s pretty obvious I need to do more highlights on those cloaks!

WIP: Dark Angels Company Masters

So I took a quick commission for a DA Company Master like one I painted previously. In order to be as efficient with my time as possible, I decided to paint a second one alongside it, and the second one will be for sale when it is finished. I’m doing these two a bit differently than the last one (more airbrush and pre-shading), and hopefully the results will be even cleaner, neater, and better overall than the last.

After priming, I airbrushed black where the shadows should be, and I airbrushed white in highlighted areas and anywhere that should be a focal point.

1

 

Next, I airbrushed the armor RMS Leaf Green.

2

 

The pre-shading did an excellent job of establishing shadows in the green. The next step for me was to airbrush a highlight on the armor with RMS Pale Green.

Since the models weren’t yet assembled at this point, I wanted to focus on the areas that were difficult to paint properly when assembled so that I could put the models together – the sword, jump-pack, and head.

First, I decided not to bother with trying to wet-blend the swords like last time. It was a lot of bother the last time, and I only did that for the sake of practice. This time, as efficiency is one of my main concerns, the swords were to be airbrushed. I masked half of each side of each blade, and starting with the darkest colors, sprayed the gradient. First was 1:1 VMA Black and VMC Dark Prussian Blue (I just purchased that paint, and I am absolutely in love with that color!), then VMC Dark Prussian Blue over the whole blade except where it was to be white, then RMS True Blue in the mid-tones, then VMA White. 9

3

4

 

After that, I painted in the eyes VMC Carmine Red (another color I really love), and washed the helms GW Biel Tan Green.

5

 

Then I washed the jump-packs with GW Biel Tan Green, except where the highest lights are.

6 7

 

I also washed the arms.

8

 

After that, I was able to assembled the models, and here is their current stopping point:

10