Category Archives: WIP
I’ve been so busy with personal projects and commissions (and work!) that I haven’t had much opportunity to post lately, but here’s a little about a current commission. This model is supposed to be a Duergar for a D&D campaign. I’ve never done a Duergar before, and I haven’t painted too many dwarfs either, so this project has taken me a little out of my comfort zone. It’s been a lot of fun so far, and after a little experimentation I found a combination that I think really works for the skin tone, which I plan to use on a Guild of Harmony Phoenicia, Arcane Spellcaster. I started with the Reaper Dusky Skin triad, and I do like Reaper skin tones, but I feel like the triads aren’t a complete solution to base, shade, and highlight as they are sometimes said to be. I think they just don’t offer enough contrast (both dark to light, and cool to warm, within a triad). I really like the colors Dusky Skin and Dusky Skin Shadow together, but Dusky Skin Highlight was just too ashy, it didn’t look like living skin. I ended up taking Dusky Skin and mixing in Blush Pink and Sun Yellow to make the highlight color, and that worked fabulously!
This figure is yet another figure from Reaper that I really love. I was worried when I first saw the sculpt in bare metal that her face was a little…wonky…but it turned out to be just a play of light. She’s a muscular female dwarf with a very feminine face. The only thing I’m not a huge fan of is that the weapons are a little big/chunky. I think if I were to paint her for myself in the future I would cut off the top of the mace and turn it into a torch.
Here’s the model so far, very WIP:
My commission schedule for the holiday season is starting to fill up, so if you’ve been thinking about a project now is the time to claim your spot in my queue!
Also, I have a lot of models sitting around that I need to post on my For Sale page, so I’ll be doing that soon.
I’m starting a new commission today, so there will be WIP pics soon!
I just updated my “Upcoming Projects” widget with the next few things I’m working on. It may change again as there are possibly some LotR Eagles upcoming, and I typically work on a couple projects at once anyways.
For now, I just started a set of GW River Trolls. They were a pain to assemble, but they have been quite fun to paint so far. I heard someone say once that they didn’t like these models and preferred to use some from a different manufacturer because these “didn’t have any character.” but I think that’s nuts. These models have TONS of character! Several poses, lots of various details, and just in general they look more organic than most GW sculpts.
Here’s where they stand now:
It shouldn’t be too much longer before I finish these three…then 6 more to go!
Not too long ago I posted about receiving my Pinups of Death box from Kingdom Death. Well, I finally got around to messing with a model from that set. I decided Pinup Survivor Aya would be the first one. Here she is still on sprue:
Obviously, she has a lot of pieces. When I saw how many there were, and that all but 3 were required, I thought it was going to be a fiddly nightmare to assemble her, probably because of my experiences with another manufacturer of “high quality” plastic miniatures (*cough* GW *cough*). As the model is absolutely beautiful, however, I was willing to just deal with it.
I started out dry fitting pieces over and over before applying glue, expecting pieces to be slightly off and have to finagle them into place, but boy was I wrong! Assembling this model was a joy. Kingdom Death truly made a high quality miniature. All the joins were in discrete places, or they were covered up by other pieces later in the assembly. There was a great deal of planning that went into the creation of this miniature. The *only* piece I had any trouble with was the lantern, and that was mostly because the surfaces to be joined are super tiny. I even had no problem attaching her weapon which has a hand cut off at the wrist at one end and just fingers at the other end, with both ends attaching to arms that were not cast as part of the body, so they could potentially have been assembled at barely the wrong angle so nothing would fit together after. The arms fit snugly into exactly the correct position.
In the end, there is just one small gap I will fill, and that is under a breast on a strap. Nothing else is visible!
And the mould lines…well there really weren’t any – just one small one on each leg. Here she is assembled:
I can’t wait to start painting this model!
I’m going out of town for a few weeks, so I probably won’t be able to post much (if at all) during that time, but before I go I’ll put up a picture of a converted Ogre Hunter I’ve been working on. When I get back I have a commission for a beautiful Reaper Alastriel! It’s definitely one of my favorite Werner Klocke sculpts, and I’m really happy to have a reason to paint one.