I had a SUPER busy weekend at Brawler Bash VII. I met a ton of super-nice people, and hopefully I will get the opportunity to do some projects for some of them. Also, I can’t wait to see what projects the recipients of the $50 gift certifcates want me to do for them.
In the coming weeks I will be posting about a Lizardmen project including two skink characters and some skirmishing movement trays. I’m also going to finish an Empire mounted BSB I’ve been working on. After that, I’m switching over to some 40K for a while starting with some Dark Angels! Hopefully I will also be able to squeeze in a few Reaper Bones models along the way.
I finished up the two Company Masters, which means I have one for sale again. I’ll take some good pictures of it soon and put it up on the For Sale! page.
Here are the pictures in my spray booth!
Here’s the next model I’m working on – Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon:
So I took a quick commission for a DA Company Master like one I painted previously. In order to be as efficient with my time as possible, I decided to paint a second one alongside it, and the second one will be for sale when it is finished. I’m doing these two a bit differently than the last one (more airbrush and pre-shading), and hopefully the results will be even cleaner, neater, and better overall than the last.
After priming, I airbrushed black where the shadows should be, and I airbrushed white in highlighted areas and anywhere that should be a focal point.
Next, I airbrushed the armor RMS Leaf Green.
The pre-shading did an excellent job of establishing shadows in the green. The next step for me was to airbrush a highlight on the armor with RMS Pale Green.
Since the models weren’t yet assembled at this point, I wanted to focus on the areas that were difficult to paint properly when assembled so that I could put the models together – the sword, jump-pack, and head.
First, I decided not to bother with trying to wet-blend the swords like last time. It was a lot of bother the last time, and I only did that for the sake of practice. This time, as efficiency is one of my main concerns, the swords were to be airbrushed. I masked half of each side of each blade, and starting with the darkest colors, sprayed the gradient. First was 1:1 VMA Black and VMC Dark Prussian Blue (I just purchased that paint, and I am absolutely in love with that color!), then VMC Dark Prussian Blue over the whole blade except where it was to be white, then RMS True Blue in the mid-tones, then VMA White.
After that, I painted in the eyes VMC Carmine Red (another color I really love), and washed the helms GW Biel Tan Green.
Then I washed the jump-packs with GW Biel Tan Green, except where the highest lights are.
I also washed the arms.
After that, I was able to assembled the models, and here is their current stopping point:
I’ve been super busy lately with holiday prep stuff, so I haven’t had as much time to paint as I’d like. I did get a little work done on the Company Master though. I worked a little more on his sword, and I began basecoating the areas that will be gold.
The girls say hi!
And this little angel is part of what has kept me so busy!
I started on the wet-blending on the sword:
I also changed the color of the wings on his helmet and basecoated the little bit of leather he has. Soon I will finish the sword, leather bits, NMM gold details, and then do the base. This model has really been one that looks messy until it comes together in the end, and I’m nearing the end so it better come together!
The next step on the Company Master was to wash it with GW Biel-Tan Green. This reduced the minty look the green armor had taken on in highlighting. After that I base-coated the robes with RMS Yellowed Bone. Then I used two-brush blending and RMS Uniform Brown to begin working in the shadows. I also painted the ropes with RMS Yellowed Bone and washed them with GW Seraphim Sephia.
The next model I am painting is a Company Master from the Dark Vengeance set.
First thing I filled a small gap on his cloak with Humbrol Model Filler. For simple gaps that stuff is easier to use than green stuff. Also, it dries very quickly and is easily sandable. After that I primed him with Vallejo Surface Primer in grey and attached him to a simple cork base.
Next thing was to basecoat the red cloak in RMA Mahogany and the green armor in RMS Leaf Green mixed with black. I highlighted up the cloak with VMC Carmine Red and RMS Oiled Leather. I highlighted up the armor with more RMS Leaf Green and RMS Pure White.
Honestly, this model is a bit of a nightmare to paint completely assembled, but trying to assemble it afterwards is scary, too, as I’d be afraid I’d scratch the paint! In order to attach any of it together the two body pieces and head piece had to go together at the same time, so the only piece it was even practical to leave off was the pack. More tomorrow!