This model was such a blast to paint. I’m sure I will end up painting her again down the road, but for now this is definitely my favorite version of her.
Here are more WIP pictures of Finari! I’ve not been able to work on her so much in the last week or so because of the Kitsune, but now that that is done I think Finari will be the next finished. I worked on making her teal armor appear shinier, and I’ve worked on the NMM gold as well. I’m really enjoying the gold now that I’ve moved away from using a series of brown-ish colors. My colors on this NMM gold are a deep purple (VGA Hexed Lichen), a slightly earthy red (VMC Cavalry Brown), a greenish yellow ochre (VMC Khaki Grey), a pale yellow (VMC Golden Yellow), and my usual almost-white “white” (VMC Ivory).
I feel like the gold is way more interesting. Also, in the case of this overall scheme, it plays off the purple cloak and teal armor very nicely.
I’m still figuring out what I want to do with that cross on the back of her cloak, so it is nowhere near finished.
Here are more WIP shots of the Bushido Kitsune. For some reason my paint is super shiny right now, although I’ve done nothing different than normal except use my new wet palette. Hmm… So far I’ve mostly been focusing on her dress. Next I will paint her skin/fur and face. I may also add more shadows to the dress as it’s lost a bit of the purple. The shadows are VGA Hexed Lichen, which is becoming my go-to shadow color for a lot of things. The mid tone is VMC Dark Prusia Blue, and the highlight is VMC Sky Blue. A little bit of VMC Transparent Blue is involved, but only to help transitions between mid and shadow. Transitions between highlight and midtone were done by painting a solid stripe of the highlight in the shape and approximate size I wanted, and then glazing the transition with thin Dark Prusia Blue.
I’ve painted so many of this model now! I do love it though. It’s a great sculpt. I do have one complaint, however – every one of them has had a somewhat messed up mouth with some really rough metal on the side of her chin. It really bothers me when a mini’s face is messed up. The face is the most important part! It’s mostly fixable, but I find it makes painting her mouth particularly complicated.
Here she is finished! This was a really fun model, and I have several color scheme ideas for painting her again.
Here’s another WIP shot of that awesome sorceress model. I am still working on the NMM…it appears to have more contrast under my bright work lights than it actually has, apparently.
I’ve been asked a few times how I do orbs like these, so here is my process on this model:
1. base coat of VMC Prussian Blue,
2. Glaze thinned VMC Deep Sky Blue from middle to bottom of orb, not worrying overly much about the transition,
3. Glaze much thinner VMC Prussian Blue over the transition towards the top of the orb to smooth the blend,
4. Add a pinch of VMC Ivory and VMC Fluo Green to the thinned VMC Deep Sky Blue and thin further,
5. Glaze Fluo green mixture into the brightest part of the orb,
6. Glaze with super thin VMA Imperial Blue (more of a deep purple) into the very top of the orb,
7. Fix any transitions with VMC Prussian Blue or VMC Deep Sky Blue glazes,
8. Coat with Liquitex Gloss Varnish,
9. Hold under light at the proper angle to visualize glints, paint them on with VMC Ivory,
10. Re-coat with Liquitex Gloss Varnish
With all of the blending, make sure the brush is always moving towards the place you want the most pigment to be deposited.