Blog Archives

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragons!

Here are finished photos of the two Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragons I painted this month.

Dragon 1:

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon Standard+ with Level 2 basing

 

Dragon 2:

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon 2 Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon 2 Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon 2 Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon 2 Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon 2 Standard+ with Level 2 basing

Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon 2 Standard+ with Level 2 basing

As you can see, both dragons are basically alike. Dragon 1 was painted for my FLGS Atomic Empire, and Dragon 2 is for sale for $65.

Advertisements

Empire Knights cont.

Well I finished the last 8 horses for the 24 Empire Knights:

20140422_235048

20140424_220925

I think the white horses are my favorite. And just in case you ever wondered what a horde of cavalry looks like:

20140422_235150

 

I should have the 24 riders done sometime in the next few days as well as a pair of Pathfinder Red Dragons, one of which will be for sale!

WIP: Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon

The bulk of the work on this figure was done with my airbrush. I used Reaper Dark Elf Shadow as a base color, then highlighted with RMS Dark Elf Highlight. I used VMA Black for the deepest shadows. Then I used VMC Dark Prussian Blue (a fabulously beautiful color!) to begin the blue areas on the wings, frills, and body. After that, the blue areas were taken up to RMS Surf Aqua. Then, for the final lights on those areas, I used VMA White and then RMS Surf Aqua again. Putting the white first allows the Surf Aqua to be brighter. The transparent nature of these paints means that even if a bright color is used, if it has a dark base it will not appear bright. Putting that white “barrier” in between the dark and the aqua helps that.

15 start over this point all airbrush

16 same as last

17 same as last

The airbrush really made quick work of it to this point, but now it was time for the detail-work.

The plan was to make the scales, especially the chest, appear iridescent. To that end, the next colors used were a bright green and a violet-red.

18 start of irridescent effect

19 same as last

After that it was the horns. I base-coated them with RMS Weathered Stone.

20 start horns weathered stone

After that, I washed them with Army Painter Dark Tone Ink, and then highlighted them back up with RMS Weathered Stone.

About this point in the painting, the owner of this dragon asked me to add a washer in the base so that it magnetic counters used in D&D would stick to it, so I dug a hole in the cork to place it so that the surface of the base could remain flat.

21 washer for magnetic counter

Next, I covered the washer with Vallejo Red Oxide Paste.

22 cover washer

After that dried, I began painting over it to blend that area back into the base, and I decided the eyes should be a bright orangey-yellow instead of bright blue.

23 eyes and start covering washer

And here he is finished:

100_1744cropped1000pix 100_1745cropped1000

This dragon was a ton of fun to paint. I really enjoyed the colors. However, the Bones plastic was such a pain! Mould lines would just appear out of nowhere! I will probably paint a couple more of these dragons this year.

WIP: Dark Angels Company Masters and Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon

I finished up the two Company Masters, which means I have one for sale again. I’ll take some good pictures of it soon and put it up on the For Sale! page.

Here are the pictures in my spray booth!

14

15

16

17

 

Here’s the next model I’m working on – Reaper Pathfinder Red Dragon:

1

2 assembled, based