The Skinks’ bases dried nicely, so I got to prime the models today with Vallejo grey Surface Primer. Spraying this stuff through my Badger Krome is SO much more convenient than any aerosol spray. Also, after several frosting issues I’m way too nervous to use any aerosol products on my models anymore. Some previously beautiful Ogre Leadbelchers currently are trudging through a blizzard in fact…
I decided I needed to multi-task and get these guys curing and/or drying while I work on the Mitigator.
First thing was to clean the mould lines. They are only going to be tabletop level, so I didn’t spend too much time on this part and only got the obvious ones. Someone would have to get up-close-and-personal with odd angles on these guys to see the remaining ones, and that just isn’t a scrutiny that tabletop models are supposed to have to stand up to. Everyone has their own definition for “tabletop,” but in general they all seem to agree that the model should look good in groups from a few feet away and be able to be painted up fairly quickly. To me, tabletop means neat, basic lights and shadows (typically a wash and a highlight or two), and major details picked out only.
The next step was to apply Vallejo Red Oxide paste to the bases and add a few medium sized rocks for variety.