Here are more WIP pictures of Finari! I’ve not been able to work on her so much in the last week or so because of the Kitsune, but now that that is done I think Finari will be the next finished. I worked on making her teal armor appear shinier, and I’ve worked on the NMM gold as well. I’m really enjoying the gold now that I’ve moved away from using a series of brown-ish colors. My colors on this NMM gold are a deep purple (VGA Hexed Lichen), a slightly earthy red (VMC Cavalry Brown), a greenish yellow ochre (VMC Khaki Grey), a pale yellow (VMC Golden Yellow), and my usual almost-white “white” (VMC Ivory).
I feel like the gold is way more interesting. Also, in the case of this overall scheme, it plays off the purple cloak and teal armor very nicely.
I’m still figuring out what I want to do with that cross on the back of her cloak, so it is nowhere near finished.
Here are more WIP shots of the Bushido Kitsune. For some reason my paint is super shiny right now, although I’ve done nothing different than normal except use my new wet palette. Hmm… So far I’ve mostly been focusing on her dress. Next I will paint her skin/fur and face. I may also add more shadows to the dress as it’s lost a bit of the purple. The shadows are VGA Hexed Lichen, which is becoming my go-to shadow color for a lot of things. The mid tone is VMC Dark Prusia Blue, and the highlight is VMC Sky Blue. A little bit of VMC Transparent Blue is involved, but only to help transitions between mid and shadow. Transitions between highlight and midtone were done by painting a solid stripe of the highlight in the shape and approximate size I wanted, and then glazing the transition with thin Dark Prusia Blue.
I’ve painted so many of this model now! I do love it though. It’s a great sculpt. I do have one complaint, however – every one of them has had a somewhat messed up mouth with some really rough metal on the side of her chin. It really bothers me when a mini’s face is messed up. The face is the most important part! It’s mostly fixable, but I find it makes painting her mouth particularly complicated.
Some Reaper Bones Dark Elves and a Reaper Finari on the way! I just switched to a wet palette, and I like it a lot more than the well right now. It definitely takes some getting used to, but we’re getting into summer here and it’s HOT. We keep the house warm to save on utilities, and my painting desk is in the room with the worst A/C, so it’s always several degrees warmer in here. 81 in here today while it’s 90 outside! That’s making my paint dry out FAST, hence the wet palette switch.
Here are the finished ‘jacks that are part of a recent Standard level commission. The dark stony armor is my client’s color scheme. I reposed the Phoenix to have a “ninja” pose. Mostly that involved running a pin all the way through both hands (being sure to keep it going straight in the proper angle for holding the sword hilt!), cutting apart the sword, and pinning the sword parts on top of and on bottom of the hands. I had to shorten the hilt as the bottom hand would be holding that part. The trickiest part was putting all that together at an angle that would still allow the arms to attach to the body and shoulder pads properly, as well as not impact with the legs. The Manticore and Moros are not reposed. I do really like that new Moros model!
Here are the finished pictures of the warcasters in a recent Gaming Standard Warmachine Retribution commission. The color scheme of rocky grey armor and forest green is my client’s. Soon I can post the jacks for this commission as well!
Here are some quick shots of a very WIP Wrath of Kings Goritsi Zeti vampire chick. I do wish the details on this model were a little less…soft. I’m having a horrible time picking colors on this model, and I really don’t know why. I started out with a strong idea of what colors to use, and somehow it didn’t work out. Hopefully she will come together in the end!