Blog Archives

Reaper Kickstarter Sophie

Here are the final pictures of Reaper Kickstarter Sophie:

Final Reaper Kickstarter Sophie 1

Final Reaper Kickstarter Sophie 2

Final Reaper Kickstarter Sophie 3

Final Reaper Kickstarter Sophie 4

Advertisements

WIP: Reaper Kickstarter Sophie cont.

I finally got to the last tiny details of Sophie, which I painted with VMA Aluminum, which is really a very nice color for a metallic.

27

I also used a black paint wash on the bike, then I drybrushed it with VMA Aluminum. Afterwards, I painted some of the areas on the bike a blue/green metallic and touched up some of the black areas that either had Aluminum on them or just weren’t fully coated yet.

29

 

I also got some work done on Sophie’s base. First I tore up two pieces of cork, then I glued them to a 60mm round base. After that dried, I used Vallejo Red Oxide Paste to fill in some of the cracks between the pieces of cork. I put a thick layer on the top, and smoothed out the area that was going to be the road. I poured Woodland Scenics Medium Ballast on the smooth area and smashed it down pretty well to make the road as flat as possible. Then I put a few large rocks around the base and let it dry.

30

 

Tomorrow I will paint the base and add a green stuff cactus and snake!

WIP: Reaper Kickstarter Sophie cont.

I’ve been working on Sophie, but that model is being a real bear. It comes in way more pieces than it ought to, and they all have gaps, and pock marks, and spidery cracks. Also, apparently Reaper must have hired someone to squash and twist models before they go in the blister pack. The handle bars have her hands sculpted on them, and they were mangled in the blister. The motorcycle itself is in three pieces that don’t fit well. The front wheel attachment is smaller than the area it attaches to, so that required some green stuff work. Then the front of the bike attaches to the back of the bike at whatever angle you please, except that if you put it at the wrong angle then the mangled bars won’t reach Sophie so her hands can attach. Also, it’s next to impossible to dry fit the thing without at least partially assembling it, but assembly is so fiddley… Apparently Sophie is meant to float a little above the seat like she’s in the middle of getting on it and still has the toes of one foot on the ground, so the awful hand-on-handlebars situation is the only way she really attaches. And then there’s the wings…which are huge and I’m worried that they may not fit between the ground and the handlebars at the angle things are currently together. I like the sculpt, but I’m really ready to be done with this part of the process.

All the individual pieces:

2

 

Front end green stuff:

3

 

WIP: Reaper Kickstarter Sophie

Well I’ve been working on cleaning up Sophie. Overall the cast wasn’t too bad…I’ve certainly seen worse from Reaper, and from metal models in particular. That Reaper Kagunk a little while back had all kind of holes and he was even missing an ear originally, so I’m glad Sophie isn’t suffering from all that. The worst of it is a gap where the tire attaches to the bike and a misaligned mould:

1

 

Hopefully in the next day or so I will be able to pin, assemble, and prime her.

She didn’t come with a base, but I have a spare 60mm round that I could do something nice with. I need to figure out exactly what will be on her base as well as what colors she is going to be before I can go any further than priming!